• Welcome!
    Logout|My Dashboard

Bond denied for woman facing charges in child’s death - The Galveston County Daily News : Local News

November 27, 2014

Bond denied for woman facing charges in child’s death

Font Size:
Default font size
Larger font size

Posted: Tuesday, March 26, 2013 12:30 am | Updated: 7:46 am, Tue Oct 28, 2014.

SANTA FE — Investigators are awaiting the final autopsy report to determine if the woman accused of severely injuring her boyfriend’s 4-year-old daughter will face additional charges. Taylor Gene Moore died Saturday morning from injuries that police said she sustained at the hands of Laura Lea Kolb, 36.

Kolb is charged with felony injury to a child and remained in the Galveston County Jail Monday after a judge denied bail.

The Galveston County Medical Examiner’s Office is done with the autopsy, but the report had not been filed with Santa Fe Police, Capt. Wayne Kessler said. Police are waiting for that report before confirming the girl’s cause of death.

That report is also needed before investigators meet with the Galveston County District Attorney’s Office to determine if Kolb will face additional charges.

According to county jail records, Kolb, who initially was to be held on $250,000 bond, had her bail denied by the magistrate judge. The reason for the bond denial could not be confirmed Monday.

Kolb did not have any outstanding warrants at the time of the other charges, officials said.

Police were called to the Santa Fe Courtyards, a 12-unit apartment complex in the 1100 block of 16th Street at 4:12 a.m. Saturday after a frantic phone call for help.

When they arrived, emergency responders found the girl unresponsive in the arms of her father, Kevin Moore. They treated her and took her to Mainland Medical Center, where she was pronounced dead just after 5 a.m.

Police said Kolb is Kevin Moore’s girlfriend but is not the girl’s mother.

Police allege Kolb became upset with Moore after an evening of drinking and that Moore left the second-floor apartment to visit friends nearby.

Police said Kolb initially followed him, and then returned to their apartment, tripping on the stairs on the way up and injuring herself.

Police said they believe Kolb, in a fit of anger, injured Taylor. Kolb was charged with felony injury to a child.

A first-degree felony carries a minimum sentence of five years and a maximum penalty of a life sentence.