In earlier chapters, we learned that the United States government came to own the far East End of the island, used it for military defensive purposes, that it accreted mightily and that a seawall finalized in 1925, topped by a road, split the property into two sections, north and south, with the military installations being mainly to the north.
The new seawall road, affording great views north and south and of the ships using the channel, attracted visitors. But for a few years that was it. There was no Boddeker Road. This chapter will trace the history of public and associated commercial uses to the present.