Summer is here and with it comes warm weather, more daylight and bugs. Many insects have bites or stings that can cause problems, but what is the difference between a bite and a sting?
Venomous insects inject painful, toxic venom through their stingers. The stings are painful, red and can swell up to 12 inches from the site of the sting. This is called a local reaction. A person allergic to the venom of the insect may have a systemic or “whole body” reaction. Redness, hives and swelling may occur, and this type of reaction can affect airways, as well as circulation and may become life-threatening if not treated in time.