• Welcome!
    |
    ||
    Logout|My Dashboard

Medical experts offer advice on how to deal with mold - The Galveston County Daily News : Storm Season

October 1, 2014

Medical experts offer advice on how to deal with mold

Print
Font Size:
Default font size
Larger font size

Posted: Tuesday, May 28, 2013 3:55 pm

GALVESTON — Mold, contaminated soil, infections and respiratory ills may lie in wait after a hurricane, physcians say.

But if you find yourself need to clean up and muck out after a hurricane, just slap the mosquitoes aside, slide on some gloves, a mask and with proper precautions, keep on working, they advise.

Here’s a round-up of advice gathered in 2009 from medical experts eyeing the aftermath of Hurricane Ike:

Contaminated soil

Organisms living in soil contaminated by bacteria and human waste can be transmitted hand to hand or hand to mouth and can lead to Hepatitis A, tetanus or other infections.

Wear gloves; avoid touching your mouth and eyes; wash hands or use hand sanitizers frequently; wear rubber boots and get a tetanus shot.

Molds and fungus

They’ll range in color from dirty white to greenish to black.

Waterlogged, damaged items should be discarded. But clothing or upholstery that isn’t waterlogged might be reclaimed with cleaning or dry cleaning.

Hard surfaces can be wiped down with a bleach or alcohol solution.

Sentimental photographs, jewelry and other items can be cleaned and dried.

Waterlogged carpet and Sheetrock should be discarded. Mold will grow in the wall cavities, so they must be exposed.

Wear a mask that will filter out fungus for that kind of work. Stay out of poorly ventilated areas where cleaning produces strong fumes. Get enough sleep and rest.

A persistent cough, particularly when exerting oneself or when it causes you to wake in the middle of the night, should prompt a call to the doctor.


At a glance

Cleaning formulas to tackle mold should be a 10 percent concentration of bleach in water (1 cup bleach to 9 cups water for example), or straight 70 percent rubbing alcohol.

Since inhaling or touching mold can cause allergic reactions and even asthma attacks, you need to limit exposure. Wear an N-95 respirator, available at hardware stores for $12 to $25. Wear gloves that are designed for use with strong cleaning solutions. Wear goggles without ventilation holes to avoid getting mold or mold spores in your eyes.


Online

epa.gov/mold/cleanupguidelines.html