From the Archives Feb. 3:
- In 1914, a missing torpedo boat arrived in Galveston after completing a submarine division visit.
- In 1914, official poll tax figures confirmed more than 10,000 citizens were prepared to vote.
- In 1914, the groundhog saw his shadow in Galveston and retired for further meditation.
- In 1964, the Galveston March of Dimes drive was extended to Feb. 10 after inclimate weather hampered many of the phases of the regular campaign period.
- In 1964, leading physicians from Texas and Oklahoma, as well as the University of Texas Medical Branch students, attended a special meeting of the Galveston County Chapter of the Academy of General Practice.
- In 1989, local developer Ken Shelton and Trigg Dealey, a real estate investor from Dallas, told the City Council they were going to apply to the Texas Racing Commission for a license to build and operate a dog track on land near Sea-Arama Marineworld.
- In 1989, the U.S. Navy wanted a city and county decision on the termination of the construction contract for the homeport, according to Galveston Mayor Jan Coggeshall.