From the archives of The Daily News for Jan. 26:
- In 1914, new elders were chosen at the annual meeting of First evangelical Lutheran Church.
- In 1914, an inspection of local militia took place at the beach auditorium.
- In 1964, an individual from Harvard University traveled to Galveston to play the role as a second lieutenant in the Little Theatre production, “Time Limit.”
- In 1964, two men were treated for a gunshot wound and stabbing after a bar fight and shootout in a private home.
- In 1989, a contract worker on the old Galveston railroad causeway was badly burned when a compressor used to dismantle an old building exploded.
- In 1989, members of the Rene Richerson task force spent hours south of Hitchcock searching in vain for the missing woman’s body after an anonymous caller said her remains were in the area.