From the archives of The Daily News for May 13:
- In 1914, Red Cross Nurses in Galveston were headed to Vera Cruz for war duty.
- In 1964, May showers came and went heavily and quickly. Some hail was reported in the county.
- In 1964, after disputing five primary races, the Galveston County Democratic executive committee canvassed their rechecked ballots and all the results remained the same.
- In 1989, a newly formed police union was seeking recognition in Dickinson. The organization represented eight of the 10 officers and two of the four dispatchers.
- In 1989, Bill Kelsey, the former mayor of Crystal Beach, filed a lawsuit claiming that a group seeking to abolish the city conspired to remove him from office unlawfully.