From the archives of The Daily News for Feb. 20, 2014.
- In 1914, Galveston Commissioners met with a committee sent to examine dilapidated buildings. Committee members recommended a number of buildings be torn down, and Commissioners informally considered the appointment of a city building inspector, plumbing inspector and electrical inspector.
- In 1964, it was announced after almost 40 years, the Splash Days tradition in Galveston would be laid to rest and replaced by the Galveston Spring Festival, a monthlong event in April.
- In 1989, A gunman stole more than $3,000 during a late-night robbery of a Galveston convenience store on 61st Street. The clerk was told to lay on the floor during the robbery, and heard the man talk to at least one other person before fleeing toward Offatts Bayou.