From the archives of The Daily News for Dec. 30:
- In 1913, the outcome of the special election was expected to determine road improvements from League City to Kemah.
- In 1913, Galveston County Sheriff’s office found no clue in determining the cause of the dynamite explosion.
- In 1963, Stella Bee Jones was injured and killed in a car-truck collision on U. S. Highway 290.
- In 1963, Texas City planned to spend $141,963 on a city library. The library was expected to open in the following spring.
- In 1988, County Judge Ray Holbrook billed the Texas Department of Corrections more than $416,000, raising the state’s debt to more than $1.4 million.