From the archives of The Daily News for May 12:
- In 1914, a contract was awarded by city commissioners for a drainage ditch to Swan Lake.
- In 1914, the Galveston Labor Council held an important business session where members named delegates.
- In 1964, seven bishops were heading to Galveston to honor Father Dan on his 50th anniversary as a priest.
- In 1964, a plaque was presented to a British ship on its maiden voyage to Galveston.
- In 1989, Chief Freddie Poor of the Galveston Police Department held a short, curt news conference to say that an investigation into allegations against the department had been turned over to the FBI.
- In 1989, weekend visitors to the island were greeted by partly cloudy skies, warm temperatures and slight winds.